Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Keep - Campaign Manager (NBOS Software)


The Keep (version 1.0) is database-driven tool for managing all the collateral and ephemera a DM creates when running a campaign. It provides a single location for grouping and arranging all kinds of information -- from documents, to graphics, web pages, PDFs, and almost any other kind of computer file (sound, movie, etc.).

For me, campaign managment is a Holy Grail of sorts. In the early 80's, I used 3-ring binders and dividers to organize my campaigns, maps and adventures. Eventually, these gave way to file folders in filing cabinets -- not very practical for portability but plenty of room for expanding. Even once I started documenting via computer (word processing on a C-64, then PC), I filed printed copies of my work in binders. GUIs made virtual filing possible, but organizing the information was still challenging (arrange by topic? by file type? by adventure? etc.). And then came trying to find something after such extensive filing!

When Microsoft released Office OneNote 2003, I felt I was close to the Holy Grail. OneNote (now version "2007") was originally designed for Tablet PCs and intended to provide an easy way to take notes and add research snipped from web pages and documents. OneNote groups note pages into Notebooks, and pages can be grouped into Sections. Pages can be of any length and even have sub-pages. For me, it was an ideal blend that married the old 3-ring-binder system with computer technology and added (yes! finally!) SEARCH capability across all notebooks. Running on a Notebook or Laptop PC, a campaign becomes very portable. End of story? Not quite.

Earlier this year I received an email from NBOS Software announcing their new campaign management tool, The Keep, version 1.0. Curious, I checked out the demo and was soon hooked. The Keep uses a simple folder or tree-node model for organizing information. At the topic level you create "root topics". Each root can have sub-nodes, which can have more sub nodes. This allows for deep levels of organization which can be quickly expanded or collapsed as needed. Adding documents like a PDF or HTML page renders the page directly in The Keep (unlike OneNote). The Keep uses a database to store the information you create within it (external files remain external though some can be imported into the database).

I do have a few feature-wishes (it is version 1, after all). Rearranging sub-nodes is cumbersome, right-click menus could be better implemented, and having two pages open at the same time is only possible by opening two instances of the program.

Overall, though, I've been really pleased with The Keep. It has helped me 'keep' my fledgling 4th Edition game organized and I look forward to seeing how NBOS improves this already very good product.

No comments:

About Steve

Houston, TX, United States
...THE PHOTOGRAPHER: I find great enjoyment in getting outdoors with a camera and marveling at the beauty of nature. I'm currently a student in the New York Institute of Photography. ...THE LIBRARIAN: I'll soon be entering the role of 'Web Management Librarian' at the University of Houston - Downtown. ...THE DM: Easter, 1979. I first saw the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Players Handboook at a friend's house. I asked him to teach me how to play. I've been DMing almost ever since...